Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tasty Kale Salad with Balsamic Vinegar & Sweet Potato

Nom Nom Nom! So, I had a bunch of kale in my refrigerator and I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do with it. In the past I’ve had kale steamed with 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar and some black pepper. While this is good, I wanted something a little more interesting. So, I tried the recipe below with a few twists of my own!  This salad is a must try: it tantalizes the senses with a wonderful combination of the sweet and savoury. This salad is also low in calories, high in nutrient content, and therefore relatively guilt-free. If it tastes great and is easy on the waist line, I’m all in!


INGREDIENTS
·         1-2 tablespoons butter
·         I medium onion, diced
·         1 red pepper, chopped
·         I sweet potato, cubed
·         4 cups kale
·         4 cloves of  garlic, minced
·         1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
·         ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
·         salt and pepper to taste
Shredded kale leaves

Chopped red peppers

INSTRUCTIONS
1.     Boil the sweet potatoes until soft. Then remove and set aside. In the meantime, melt one - two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the onions and garlic; saute for several minutes until onions are clear.

2.     Add the kale, peppers and balsamic vinegar. Saute until the kale is darker green (before the leaves wilt!). Turn off the heat and serve with Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments :

Post a Comment

01